Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Trekking tales - The Valley of Flowers

I'm honestly sick of all this travel log crap. I come back everyday with a headache the size of the Himalayas. The expectation that my creative juices must overflow seems to be .... Even otherwise, my mind refuses to budge. The sight of the amazing Himalayas, gushing waters and resplendent greenery all refuse to evoke the urge that a writer is compelled to feel when exposed to such beauty. And finally, it is while i sit in this dingy hotel, surrounded by a million flies that neither the fan not the fly repellent seem to have the least bit of effect, with nothing better to do than revisit the 100 meter town around me, I decided to write.

So let us begin with the negative qualities of all the fellow trekkers with me. Call me ill humored, but I am dead sure that that would be much more interesting than a graphic description of the particular green of the Himalayan juniper which you are better of seeing with your own eyes than through my words anyway.

One of the ironical learnings I gained in this trek is that I seem to get irritated with people with characters that are similar to mine. I know that my friends might question the irony, considering that I have assimilated quite a large collection of irritating qualities into my character. But I choose to see it as an amazing actuality that needs to be discussed and wondered upon.

Let us take the case of Ms Qjada, who ignores the girls, but is hugely chummy with whatever few guys that were part of our largely feminine trekking group or Ms Business Woman, whose only fault was that she was extremely outright and frank, a quality rarely appreciated, as we Indians prefer the truth unsaid. An exception to the theory of reflected hatred, was the Hostel Warden who reminded me of every warden that had taken delight in chucking me out of hostels in the days I tried desperately to fit into society. She definitely fit into the stereotype of marriage being the end of youth and the start (or continuation) of being self centered and selfish.

But I guess trekking is basically putting in a lot of effort to get someplace so that you can find out for yourself that it was nothing great anyway. Maybe all my Laissez Faire friends have a point anyway...why take so much of effort to do something to be happy when you can try to do nothing and be happy.

1 comment:

Followers